02 January 2009

Idolatry

I was with my 8 year old cousin yesterday when her mother asked her which teenager she thought dressed better: Miley Cyrus or me.

My cousin said me.

This wasn’t a huge surprise, she’s not really the mini-skirt and tights kind of gal.

Earlier in this break I spent some quality time with three cousins who really are much more mini-skirt-and-tights. They’re all girls, ages 10, 8 and 6. I babysat them. We watched Hannah Montana. These are all very bright girls, and to be honest I was surprised that they wanted to spend their evening with me watching Hannah Montana instead of playing games or reading books. At one point I asked the eldest what she thought of Hannah. She said that they used to really like Miley Cyrus, until she took “those pictures.” (My aunt and uncle are very conservative, and I was really not surprised that my cousins didn’t like these shots of their teen idol. I was a little surprised that it had such a profound impact, however. They hadn’t stopped watching Hannah Montana, but they had stopped having any kind of respect for its star.)

Anyway, what I guess I’m getting at is that kids ought to be given better role models than this.

They should also read books instead of watching this garbage.

That said, I watch kids TV. Zoey 101, for example? Fantastic television, with a really great role model

No comments: